Month: April 2013

POSITION REPORT

April 26, 2013

YOTREPS: YES TIME: 2013/04/26 09:35 LATITUDE: 33-54.52S LONGITUDE: 018-25.16E MARINE: NO WIND_SPEED: 5 WIND_DIR: SSE CLOUDS: 10% VISIBILITY: 20 BARO: 1019.1 AIR_TEMP: 21.1C COMMENT: Beach House -DOCKED- V&A Marina – Cape Town, SA for repairs…… We have arrived at the V&A Marina where we have a nice interior slip. The weather was a huge blessing as it was essentially calm the entire 70 hour motor. The winds will be back strongly soon! The good news is, preliminarly, we think that the parts from the US may be minimal and the big mandrel can be repaired or replaced here in Cape Town. The steering of course needs to be thouroghly gone over and we need to reset, refresh and of course as winter is here, watch the weather. All is well and you can use our land emails again as we have internet. KIT, Scott and Nikki

POSITION REPORT

April 25, 2013

YOTREPS: YES TIME: 2013/04/25 08:09 LATITUDE: 31-20.38S LONGITUDE: 016-56.72E COURSE: 157T SPEED: 6.8 MARINE: YES WIND_SPEED: 8 WIND_DIR: NNE WAVE_HT: 0.0M WAVE_PER: 0 SWELL_DIR: SW SWELL_HT: 0.5M SWELL_PER: 6 CLOUDS: 10% VISIBILITY: 15 BARO: 1019 TREND: 1 AIR_TEMP: 20.0C SEA_TEMP: 16.7C COMMENT: Beach House -EN ROUTE-Cape Town, SA. Should arrive Friday afternoon. It’s nice that this weather window has steadily improved and I think we’ll get in before the next southerly kicks up. We had an alternator/water pump belt break on the port engine. Fortunately, it’s nice and calm. The repair went fine in about an hours time. We also got some good news that we may be able to fix the boom rather than replace it…. Stand by. When I get to Cape Town and get settled, I WILL catch the blog up. Nothing out here but sea lions, bull kelp floating around and us! KIT, Scott and Nikki

POSITION REPORT

April 24, 2013

YOTREPS: YES TIME: 2013/04/24 11:16 LATITUDE: 29-09.43S LONGITUDE: 015-57.97E COURSE: 159T SPEED: 7.3 MARINE: YES WIND_SPEED: 5 WIND_DIR: ESE WAVE_HT: 0.0M WAVE_PER: 0 SWELL_DIR: SW SWELL_HT: 1.5M SWELL_PER: 6 CLOUDS: 10% VISIBILITY: 20 BARO: 1015 TREND: -1 AIR_TEMP: 22.2C SEA_TEMP: 14.4C COMMENT: Beach House -EN ROUTE-Cape Town, SA – just south of Namibian border Happily, the head winds of yesterday afternoon are gone and we’re motoring into fairly small swells with no wind waves at this time. We’ve about 300 miles to go and expect to be in Cape Town on Friday mid day to late afternoon, depending on what goes on with the winds. We got some potentially good news that our boom may be able to be repaired vs. replaced. But I won’t hold my breath till I get to speak with the supplier in the USA. KIT, USE SAILMAIL… Scott and resting Capt. Nik!